Kevin "Squishy Man" Barber
"Squishy Man has become a Universal — and Fun — Voice of Recovery" - National Alliance on Mental Illness (OHIO)
EVERYONE LOVES A SUCCESS STORY
Squishy is one of eight children. He is
the son of an Irish/German
mother and an African/American father. Squishy's grandfather was a
"Knight of the KKK" and his dad was a member of the "Black Panther Party."
Funny is in his genes/jeans...!
Being multiracial in the 70's & 80's was difficult. Neither race accepted him.
Squishy was an outsider. This inability to "fit in" led Squishy to attempt suicide, become a high
school dropout, alcoholic, crack & meth addict and was incarcerated for a brief period.
Squishy eventually obtained his
G.E.D., then graduated
from Washburn University, with a
Bachelor's Degree in Clinical Psychology. 2 years
later, Squishy received his
Master's Degree from the University of Kansas.
Since 1997, Squishy has been one of the foremost experts in working with
"Multiracial Children and Families." April 14-16 2000, Squishy was honored to
be the keynote speaker at the "Pan Collegiate Conference on the Mixed Race Experience"
at Harvard University
as well as speaker at
In 2003, Squishy found out he had Type 2 diabetes, which drastically altered his future plans.
Squishy decided to give up his Mental Health Practice and pursue his dream of speaking full-time.
- 1967: Illegal in US for my Parents to Interracially Marry
(Irish/German Mother & Black Father)
Loving v. Virginia Supreme Court Case
- 1968: Family Moved to Topeka, Kansas ()
- 1969: My Father went to Jail for Murder
- 1975: KKK Burned Crosses in our front Yard
- 1985: 11th Grade, Dropped Out of High School
- 1986: Went to Jail, Alcoholic, Meth, and Crack Addict
- 1987: Received G.E.D.
- 1992: Graduated Washburn University (Bachelor's Degree in Clinical Psychology)
- 1994: Graduated University of Kansas (Master's Degree, Social Welfare)
- 1996: Became Licensed Psychotherapist LSCSW, LCSW (Kansas & Missouri)
- 1997: Became Inspirational/Motivational Speaker and Diversity Trainer
- 1996-2000: President Multiracial Family Circle National Organization
- 2000: Keynote Speaker, Harvard University (Multicultural Conference)
- 2001: Became National Speaker for Multicultural Issues
- 2003: Diagnosed with Type II Diabetes
- 2004: Started on the National Comedy Circuit
- 2005: Opened for Charlie Murphy & Bernie Mac
- 2007: NYC, Filmed "Crossing The Line: Multiracial Comedians"
- 2007: Appeared in Boston Globe "Multiracial Comedic Stand Up for one another"
- 2008: P.B.S. Airs, Crossing The Line: Multiracial Comedians
- 2009: Released 1st “Laughter Therapy DVD" titled, I'm Not Fat, I'm Squishy
- 2011: Appeared on TruTv's, Hit Reality Show, "Hardcore Pawn."
- 2013: Released 2nd “Laughter Therapy DVD" titled, Is that Black Enough 4 ya?
- 2014: Keynote Speaker for the National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI-OHIO)
© Squishy Man Consulting 2018.
[ GOTO TOP ]